CA-28 Ceres A
The Ceres was developed from the famous WW II Wirraway trainer which
was built at CAC's
plant at Fisherman's Bend, Victoria between 1939 and
1945. Many new features were incorp-
orated, not the
least of which was a 40 cu ft stainless steel hopper which could
both solid and liquid
agricultural spraying mixes. The prototype, rebuilt from
A20-680, was first flown at CAC's Fisherman's Bend
field on 13 February 1958 by company
test pilot Roy Goon,
who is the pilot seen in the publicity photograph above.
flight tests, it was handed over to the first Ceres customer, Proctor's
Rural Services, on 17 April
1959. Richard Hourigan saw it in Proctor's titling at
Alexandra, Vic and took the photo below.
images seen here are from the Geoff Goodall collection.
After crashing near Seymour, Vic
on 22 March 1961 it was
rebuilt as an upgraded Ceres B with the new c/n CA28-18 and re-regis-
tered VH-CEX, remaining with Proctor's
Rural. It then eventually became VH-SSV with Super