VH-AKN (2) de Havilland D.H.82A
This was the second Tiger to be registered VH-AKN.
Both iterations of the rego were Hatfield
built machines, the
first being re-registered VH-PCA in 1950. The second, seen
above after it had
crashed at Midland Junction on the
outskirts of Perth on 13 June 1955, was one of those Tigers
its RAF serial (N9257) whilst in RAAF service. At the time of the
prang it was
owned by Scientific Spraying
Service, one of many short-lived WA aerial agricultural companies
1950s. Note company name on the tail in the shot above,
collection. It evidently struck a tree during a spraying
run by the pilot/proprietor Hal Watts.
eventually rebuilt as VH-ZUP.
Over a dozen old agricultural Tigers were stored
away at Cunderdin by
Bob Couper Co in the 1960s. In 1968 they were cleared out and ended
up stashed in a large
shed on a farm near the airport, along with the Fox Moth -USJ.
collection was acquired by a Tiger owner at Trayning WA named Les
VH-AMY) and he moved them all to a
shed in the main street of Trayning. Ten years later they
were all sold to a chap at
Luskintyre NSW who set up a production line using the fuselage frames
and as much else
as he could salvage from the collection. His new rebuilds got
wierd and wonderful
"ZUP", but he was a good guy and valued their histories, so kept their