Loide Aereo Nacional operated one of the
largest fleets of C-46s in the world. Over the years
more than 40 of them. Loide was originally founded in
1947 as Transportes Carga
(T.C.A.) which, as the name suggests, was an all freight
outfit. In 1949 the company
reorganized as Loide Aereo Nacional and began passenger services from
Rio to Fortaleza,
Horizonte and from Sao Paulo to San Luis, also via Belo.
PP-LDM, seen here in a shot
from the album of Joao
Novello, was one of two (the other was PP-LDE)
used on inaugural flights
from Sao Paulo to Manaos. -LDM
was a former C-46-1-CU built for the USAAF as 41-5195
and acquired by LAB in Bolivia from the Reconstruction Finance
Corporation in 1950 whence it
was registered CB-50.
Loide purchased it in July 1951. It was written off in a crash at
Santa Amaro, Sao Paulo
in September 1953.