This was the former ZK-AFT which was impressed into RNZAF
service as NZ581 in 1939,
recivilianized as ZK-AHJ in 1941, returned to "the
colors" again in 1942 as NZ581, and finally
demobbed as ZK-APJ in 1946.
It was owned at that time by Walter R. Wilmott of Timaru. The
shot above is via J N
Geelen/Air-Britain Archive, although it may, in fact, have been taken
At some point the original 90hp Warner Scarab engine was replaced with
Lycoming which powered the
aircraft until 1974. In 1980, after some time in storage, the
was loaned to the RNZAF Historical
Centre (forerunner of the RNZAF Museum) who began to
restore it. The aircraft is now
presented in a wartime camouflage with its serial NZ598, and resides
at the Ashburton Aviation Museum.