ZK-BKD Douglas DC-3C-G202A
This was the former VH-ANU,
imported into New Zealand in June 27, 1955 for NZNAC.
It was named 'Kotare'.
In October 1961 it was sold to The Mt Cook and Southern Lakes
Tourist Company being the first of three DC-3s owned by the
company. When the DC-3's
were phased out in favour of the HS748, -BKD went back to NAC (July 3,
1970), but was
sold on to
Fieldair almost immediately, and was the first DC-3 to wear Fieldair
Smith's nice shot above shows it as an aerial argicultural
being retired on
January 1983 the aircraft was stored at Palmerston
North. Acquired for a local museum,
was later moved to
Rotorua for a proposed museum there, and stored on land opposite the
airport. The museum did not come to pass (Hamish Ross, the
been killed in a
topdressing accident), and the aircraft was
subsequently transported to Gisborne where it now
as decoration for the "Smash Palace" wine bar.