VH-UYY Stinson Model A (c/n 9130)
was the last of the four Stinson Model As acquired by Airlines of
Australia in 1936. It was
named "City of Grafton" It
passed to Australian National Airways who renamed it "Tokana".
In 1943 it was converted to twin engined
configuration by the installation of two 550 hp Pratt
& Whitney Wasp R1540s, in lieu
of the three 260 hp Lycomings (see VH-UKK for
this subject). On 31 January
1945, when flying near Mia Mia, Victoria, the outer port wing broke
off due to structural failure. The
resultant crash killed all on board. Following this accident it
decreed that all aircraft should
henceforth be x-rayed for signs of cracks ansd structural weaknesses.
Below is a closer up, albeit cropped, shot of it from the Bruce
Robinson collection, while the rare
color photo below that is from the archives of the Civil Aviation
Historical Society (via Phil Vabre).