VH-WEJ (1) Miles M.65
Two shots of VH-WEJ from the Ben
Dannecker collection (via Geoff Goodall). Above it is seen
at Cootamundra, NSW and below at Newcastle's Broadmeadows Aerodrome
both in 1957 whilst
owned by W. E. James Aircraft Charter Service of Bankstown. Both
images show it soon after
was re-engined by Wally James with two 130 hp Lycoming
0-290-3/1 four cylinder power plants.
named it the 'Miles Lycoming' and offered the conversion to other
Gemini owners, claiming a
much improved performance. In the event this remained
the sole Australian conversion.
it with an early Piper Aztec, and the Gemini was
re-registered VH-WEK and soon
It was originally built in 1948 as
G-AKHU, being exported to
Australia in Oct-
ober 1950 as VH-BMV.
It became VH-WEJ in November 1956. It was
withdrawn from use
VH-BOB) in 1963 following the DCA decree that
wood bonded aeroplanes would not longer
their CofAs renewed due deterioration in
the strength of glued joints.