VH-WAC (2) Avro 652A Anson
The series of images on this
page are all from the Geoff Goodall collection.
As described in the
narrative for VH-WAC(1) this Anson was ex
MG271, civilianized in 1947,
and was to have
VH-BJY, but requested to be changed by Jimmy Woods to VH-WAA.
In the event,
this rego was dis-allowed by DCA and hence it wound up as VH-WAC.
named "The Islander" and was operated on the
Rottnest Island service from 1948 until 1961.
In 1962 the Ansons were grounded
and the service shut down. Jimmy flew his two Ansons out
to friend's farms as playthings
for their children.
The above image is an enlargement from
the photograph of the two Ansons seen on the entry
Next is a poor, although nostalgic
shot of "Woodsy" bringing -WAC in over the fence at Perth's
Aerodrome in 1958. It was probably a visit for
maintenance because both the
Woods Airways Ansons
were based at nearby Guildford Aerodrome.
The third shot shows
VH-WAC, now with 1950s style livery, sheltering from the rain just
the large ANA hangar at Guildford
Airport in 1957.
Next is a 1966 shot taken
on the farm at Gwambyginbe WA after being grounded by DCA.
Captain Jimmy Woods had ferried VH-WAC from Perth to "Seabourne",
Gwambygine in the WA
wheatbelt on 25 March 1962. This photo shows it 3 years later in
July 1966, starting to fall
apart from exposure to weather and small children.
Finally, at the foot of the
page is Geoff Goodall's own shot of the remains of VH-WAC on the
farm in of
1971. Some years later (1977) the carcass went to the RAAF
Group at Bateman, Perth, WA for restoration. The nose and cockpit
in the RAAFA Museum at Bull Creek, Perth.