VH-EWA (1) Avro 652A Anson 1
Rare Gus Grulke shot
of the first VH-EWA at Eagle Farm Airport, Brisbane in 1949.
discernible is the name "Ulm"
on the nose. This Anson was ex W2598 sold out of Narrandera
in November 1946
to Anson Holding Co of Inverell, NSW which was the original company from
East West Airlines was formed, based at Tamworth.
Civil conversion was done by
Airways at Mascot. It was test flown on completion as VH-EWA on
1947. In 1951 when the airline received its first
Hudson, this primo registration was given to
that aircraft and VH-EWA was re-registered VH-EWZ.
Seen below is a
nostalgic shot of VH-EWA loading up for Sydney at the old Tamworth
on the town racecourse) one obviously cool morning in 1948.
At the foot of the page is an image of W2598
in RAAF service, following a forced landing near
NSW on 17 January 1944 while being operated by No.1 Air Observers
All images from the Geoff Goodall