G-EALG Avro 539A
The Avro 539A was originally built as a
seaplane to participate in the 1919 Schneider Trophy races.
This event was
ultimately cancelled due to heavy fog and the aircraft was later
modified for the 1920
Aerial Derby at Hendon, by the substitution of the floatplane gear for
a conventional wheeled under-
carriage. The aircraft forced landed during the running of the
event and did not finish. The photo
shows the 539A after it had been converted to a landplane.
For the 1921 Aerial
Siddeley Puma engine was replaced by the mammoth 450
h.p.Napier Lion. The aircraft
re-designated the 539B,
re-registered G-EAXM and unofficially named Falcon. Again
disaster struck and
three days before the race the aircraft came to grief after overrunning
plunging over some railway lines. The one
and only Avro 539 was completely written off.