G-AHCV, seen here at Hamburg Airport in the
late 1940s was one of a fleet of 30 ex military
Dakotas operated by British European Airways from 1946 until the mid
1950s when they
by Ambassadors and later by Viscounts. BEA itself went out
along with BOAC in 1974 when both airlines merged to form the current
day British Airways.
This particular aircraft was Dakota III
KG408 civilianized in 1945 for BOAC and passed to
that line was created in 1946. It went on the fly
with Channel Airways before
being scrapped early in 1970.