G-AFCI Short S.26
Excellent Short Bros photograph of "Golden Hind" at anchor at
Rochester. The three "G"
were a development of the earlier "Empire" flying boats, although not
June of 1939. They were, therefore, almost immediately impressed
into service with the
RAF and were
militarized by the inclusion of three dorsal gun turrets.
war and was used by BOAC in 1946 on its Poole-Cairo route. This
service ceased in
1947 and the aircraft was sold to an Australian operator for charter
use. In the event it was
destroyed by a gale whilst at anchor at Harty Ferry and was scrapped in