Transport Curtiss C-46
Transport was formed at Teterboro, NJ in 1946 by Oscar L. Morrow and
Ludlow. It initially had a fleet of
some six or seven DC-3s, four
C-46s and three DC-4s.
It began service with
low fare irregular schedules between New York and Detroit. Later,
and passenger charters were
operated. Bill Larkins' photo
above of this C-46 example with the
starboard engine running was taken
at Oakland in December 1952. An evocative shot, it does
registration (just) on the rudder as seen in the enlarge ment below.
Like many non-
its ilk, Meteor had its share of accidents and went out of business in
C-46F-1-CU (44-78553) was initially leased from the USAF in 1951
although purchased out-
right by Meteor
1954. It had several other owners from 1960
until it was withdrawn from
service in 1977.