Capitol Airways Curtiss C-46 N1308V
Capitol Airways was founded in 1946 by Jesse F.
Stallings, and incorporated in Delaware. Its
operational center was in
Nashville TN. It started operations right after WW II as a
flying school. It then
developed cargo and passenger charters and gained several military
rapidly. Initial equipment was DC-3s and C-46s, one of which is
seen above in this nice
shot by Bill
Larkins (enlargement of registration below) among a plethora of other
at Oakland on
14 September 1952. In 1967 the company
changed its title to Capitol International
reflect its growing global presence. For a period during its
career the airline
to run "Sky Saver"
scheduled flights, although these were
short-lived. Capitol has operated (leased/
owned) a vast
fleet of over 50 C-46s over the years.
N1308V above was one of a large
block of C-46F-1-CUs converted for civilian use after WW II.
It unfortunately crashed
following an in-flight fire over Katy, Texas on 11 January 1961. The
was on a cargo flight
from San Antonio, TX to Mobile, AL when the No 8 cylinder of the port
oil into the wheel well and burning through oil and fuel lines.