The Cub Coupe was a two-seat side-by-side variation of the
popular Cub line introduced in 1938/39.
It was designed by Walter C. Jamouneau, hence the 'J'
designation on the early Piper Cubs. Jamouneau
had actually worked for the
Taylor Company, designing the J-2 but joined William T. Piper
latter set up his own
business. The J-4E was powered by a 75 hp Continental A-75-9
1,200 Cub Coupes of various
marques had been produced by 1942, when WW II interrupted civilian
production. The above photograph is by Leo J.
Kohn. Surprisingly, this aircraft is still currently
registered in New York