The Model 24 series was also
fitted with in-line engines. The mix of F24W (Warner powered) to
F24R (Ranger powered) was
about 50/50, although most of the aircraft supplied to the RAF
under the lend lease program
were of the radial powered variety. The F-24R was used by the
the UC-61K. It was fitted with a Ranger 6-440-C2 engine rated at
175 hp at 2450
r.p.m. at sea level. This
example, built new in 1947, (even though the -46 in the model number
designates the year) was photographed at Camarillo
Airport in Southern California in 1999.
in a beautiful Fairchild Aircraft photograph is an earlier 24R42.
This machine was
actually built as a 24R40, but was
used as the prototype for the 1942 model, most of which were
delivered to the military.