Western Air Lines
Douglas DC-3 N33647
On 17 April 1941 Western Air
Express severed all its interchange ties with United Airlines and
name to Western Air Lines, becoming totally autonomous in its own
right. Its fleet
at the time comprised seven
DC-3s and five of the old ex-United Boeing 247-Ds. The
above was also an ex-United machine sold to Western
in 1942. It is seen above "out to pasture"
at Santa Monica Municipal Airport after its
operational days were done. It is, however, carrying
the standard WAL livery of the 1940s and
50s. It was sold to Hil-Down Venture in 1958 as an
executive transport, finally winding up back with
Douglas Aircraft.as N129H. (Note: A second
DC-3, c/n 2108, was
also registered N129H upon its repatriation from
Argentina). Seen below
(via Mike Sparkman) is a shot of a DC-3 in the final 'Indian Head'
livery adopted on WAL's piston
engined fleet NC33671 was an
original WAE delivered machine.