United Air Lines
Douglas DC-3-343 NC19964
United began replacing its
Boeing 247Ds with DC-3s at the end of 1936. Even though the Boeing
airliners were a little more
than three years old at the time, clearly they were outclassed by the
Douglas machines. The
evocative shot above shows "Mainliner
Seattle" winging its way south on
the Pacific coast route in
the late 1940s. (This machine had originally been delivered to
Express in 1940, but at that time
a cozy sort of equipment interchange existed between the two lines).
As one of the "big four"
airlines in the U.S., United operated, at one time or another, over 120
c/n 2265 was sold off in
the 1950s and wound up working for Servicios Aereos Santa Isabel in the
Argentine as LV-HOJ.
As late as September of 1982 it was photographed at Toronto's Lester B.
Pearson International Airport (see
below) by Den Pascoe , bearing the titling "Empressa Provincial
de Aviacion Civil - Santiago
del Estero" . It appears to have been cannibalized for parts,
rather than going
onto the Canadian civil register.