Airlines Douglas DC-3CS1C3G NC79029
Another airline which eventually
merged into the Allegheny family (and consequently is an
ancestor of USAir) was Piedmont
Airlines of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The DC-3
above was built as a
C-47A-90-DL with USAAF serial 43-16005. It was civilianized
1946 in freighter
configuration for Lone Star Cargo Lines. Piedmont acquired it
In the mid 1950s Piedmont re-registered its DC-3s
into a new series and N79029 became
N47V. It was
sold in 1960 to the Spanish Air Force and became T.3-26. It was
from use following an accident in April 1962.
Seen below is a photo from the
Aviation Museum collection showing NC8820 in 1949 livery.
This aircraft was only used for
short time in pax service. It wasn’t a very
popular airplane with the passengers, since the
only space provided for cargo was in two large wooden boxes
facing the door. The first thing
passenger saw on entering was what appeared to be a long, dark, coffin
only a few months, this particular DC-3 was sent back to the lessor
(Southern Airways). Two
years later, however, Piedmont purchased NC8820, which had in the
interim been modified
the “coffin” taken out. By that time it was re-registered N53V.
In 1958 the aircraft was
sold to a
Canadian coal company as CF-HGD and they used it to work on the DEW
later returned to the US as N341 for Provincetown-Boston Airlines.