Airlines Douglas C-53B NC49953 (c/n 4820)
Just before the name
change in to Capital (April 1948), PCA changed its titling over the
cheat line to 'The Capital Airline'.
NC49953 is seen here in front of the terminal at Washington
Nationall, circa 1948.
The aicraft was built as a C-53B-DO with serial number 41-200050
and was sold off in 1945 by the U.S. Government Defense Plant. It
flew for PCA/Capital first
as 'Capitaliner Cheuboygan', later Capitaliner Corning'. It was
withdrawen from service following
an accident at
Martinsburg, Va in June 1958.