For some years after WW II ended
Australia suffered a severe economic dollar shortage.
This meant that the importation of US lightplanes in
this period was just about impossible (the
bans were lifted in the late
1950s). This embargo also manifested itself in regard to
and so Auster decided to fit the
two seat Continental-powered Arrow with a 90 hp Blackburn
Cirrus Minor engine. This gave rise to the J/4
design, only two of which were imported into
New Zealand, ZK-AXC being the first. This was the former
G-AIPK which was imported into
the Dominion at the end of 1950 for W.
Bradshaw.. This machine is still currently registered to
Peter Turvey of Rangiora.