C.30A Autogiro (c/n 772)
Three Cierva C.30A machines were
imported into Australia during 1935, represented by VH-USQ, seen
VH-USR (next entry) and VH-UUQ. These interesting machines
were designed by Don Juan
de la Cierva,
the Spanish inventor of the first practical rotary wing aircraft.
His earlier designs had been
built around Avro aircraft,
although the C.30A was a brand new design, some 66 of which were built.
The shot below is from the Geoff
Goodall collection and was taken in Maylands (Perth, WA) in 1935.
what the machine was doing out there is not clear, since it was a NSW
registered aircraft for all of
its active life. (It was
withdrawn from use in 1940).