VH-USO Cierva C.19 Mk IVP
Actually an Avro 620, this
stubby little rotary wing was imported at the end of 1934 for the
Autogyro Corporation of Australia, of
Melbourne. 15 Mk.IVPs were built by Avro in the
UK, c/n 5153 being originally G-ABUH.
While still a company demo machine, it had its
rotor severely damaged during an attempted take-off
on 16 June 1935. No further flights
could be undertaken and its Certificate of
Registration was allowed to lapse in November
Presumably it rotted away somewhere. The two rare shots
in this entry are
courtesy of the John Hopton collection. The accident shot seen
below was probably that
of the afore-mentioned June 1935 incident.