Havilland D.H.61 Giant Moth
Imported in May of 1929 for
QANTAS and named "Diana",
this Giant Moth was sold to W.R.
Carpenter at Salamaua, New Guinea in July 1935 who
renamed it "Wings of Gold".
. It is seen
Salamaua in 1935 in this rare photo from the Geoff Goodall collection.
The top two
images below show it when
with its original owner, Qantas. The upper, from the CAHS
it is seen taxying for
Archerfield on 10 December 1934 with the first mail of the new
aboard. Actually, this initial load proved to be too much
for the Giant
the overflow followed in the DH.50J
It is thought the
were Lester Brain in -UJC and Rusell Tapp in -ULG. The lower
image is via the John Oxley
State Library of Queensland collection showing -UJC in Qantas markings.
Its service with
Carpenter was very short lived since it crashed at
Salamaua in October 1935. The foot of the page
photograph, also via Geoff Goodall
shows the sad remains.