VH-UGX  de Havilland D.H.60X Moth                  (c/n 425)


                                 Originally owned by O.B. Hall and D.G. Officer of Bellevue Hill, NSW, this Moth was acquired,
                                 in January 1930, by Hart Aircraft Service Pty Ltd (a broker?).  It was then sold to the Central
                                 Australian Gold Exploration Co as a replacement for VH-UMR ('Golden Quest') which had
                                 crashed some 200 miles west of Alice Springs in August of 1930.  -UGX was named 'Golden
                                 Quest 2' , as seen in the image immediately below.  It is seen above circa 1931 (looks like Sydney
                                 Harbour Bridge was still under construction) in this photo from the Frank Walters collection.  
                                 The company had been formed to specifically search for an alleged reef of gold which Harold
                                 Bell Lasseter claimed to have found on the western edge of the McDonald Ranges.  The aerial
                                 search was less than successful (pilot W.L. Pittendrigh got lost trying to find the base camp, and
                                 was forced to land, nearly perishing for lack of water).   Lasseter himself left the base camp with
                                 7 camels on 15th. September 1930, heading SW in search of the reef that he had claimed to have
                                 seen from the air in Golden Quest 2.   He perished in the desert after his camels bolted.  For more
                                 details on this story of Australian exploration go to
                                                             .  http://www.duckdigital.net/FOD/FOD0499.html
                                 Anyway, in May 1931 VH-UGX was sold off to Adastra Airways of Mascot and then, three
                                 months later to J.N.M. Weir of Sydney    When its CofR lapsed in 1932 it was fitted with a
                                 Gipsy II engine before being renewed.    Sold again in January 1934 to D.L. Rawnsley, it was
                                 repatriated in July of that year back to the U.K. becoming G-ACXF.  The fourth image of -UGX
                                 (below, in company with VH-UJN) is from the John Hopton collection.
                                 Finally at the foot of the page is a photo which appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald for
                                 31 March 1928 depicting  G-AUGX as the "racing machine in which Major de Havilland made
                                 a non-stop flight from Melbourne to Mascot in 5 hours 3 minutes"..