de Havilland D.H.60G Gipsy Moth
Both images in this entry are from the Neil Follett collection.
Above, as VH-UGV probably at
Mascot, circa 1937 while below is an
enlargement of the photo used for G-AUIB showing the
Moth much earlier, as G-AUGV with
a line up of Moths from the
Australian Aero Club (SA
Section). G-AUGV was,
in fact, privately owned (although was probably also used by the
Club). Its first owners in 1929
were F.E. and S.H.
Hamilton of Glenelg. It remained in the
area until 1937 when it was purchased by the manufacturer, de Havilland
Ltd of Mascot, NSW.
It was sold to the Royal Queensland Aero Club in 1938
then to Byrne
Motor Co of
Rockhampton a year later. It evidently met with some
mishaps, for its remains
by Queensland Air University Pty Ltd in October 1939 and it was struck