This was the former Netherlands
East Indies' Navy S-38. Upon arrival in Australia in
escaped the Japanese
advance into what is now Indonesia, it was not given a RAAF A50- serial
most of the other Ryans
were) but was held as a reserve unit. In April 1947 it was
Brown & Dureau of Melbourne. By 1952 it was owned by T.A.
Tulloh of 'Boulkra'
NSW, and on 15 November of that year crashed whilst landing at that
then languished until 1999 when it was
acquired by Richard J. Simms of Sydney. A two year rebuild
followed and it is now
part of the Temora Aviation Museum, which is where Phil Vabre shot the
photo in April
2011. The rego is under the tailplane in minuscule font (see