VH-PUV Grumman G-164 Ag
Clearly designed for functionality rather then good
looks, the Ag Cat was first flown in May 1957.
When Grumman was absorbed into
Gulfstream American, production of the Ag Cat was handed
Schweizer Aircraft of Elmira, NY., who have produced most of the 2000
was first registered
in May 1967 to dealers/importers Aerial Enterprises Ltd of
Brisbane (ex N929X).
. It was quickly sold to
Western Aerial Services at Cunderdin, WA and, after three year service
the WA wheatbelt, was sold in NSW, and later to Cropcair Aviation, back
in Brisbane. .
Geoff Goodall's shot above was taken at Mackay, Qld in August
1974. Two months
after this picture was taken the Ag Cat was seriously damaged in an
near Mackay on 22
1974. The remains languished until 1981 when they were sent to
New Zealand ostensibly
as parts for
ZK-MEW. However, in the event, the airframe underwent a complete
West Melton for
Pionair. This raised some certification issues, but these were
sorted out by a visit
from the CEO of the
AgCat corporation, and the aircraft was registered in New Zealand in
ZK-MEX. It was later leased to De Bretts Aviation
at Taupo, and
changed owners a
of times, but remains at Taupo, operated (incredibly) as a tourist
machine! Phil Treweek's photo below shows it sitting idle
one day at Taupo.