VH-CEB  CAC CA-28 Ceres B                                    (c/n 2)

                                  
                                                   
                                        The Ceres was developed from the famous Wirraway trainer of WW II.  The prototype of this
                                        purpose-built top dressing aircraft was flown in February 1958.  A total of 20 was built (although
                                        21 c/ns were allotted).  Six were exported to New Zealand.  Converted from Wirraway A20-697,
                                        VH-CEB, the second Ceres built, first flew on 6 June 1957 from the Commonwealth Aircraft Corp's
                                        Fisherman's Bend field in Melbourne.   The photo above was taken by Greg Banfield at Tamworth,
                                        NSW in November 1965.  Airfarm Associates was its only operator.  Geoff Goodall's B&W image
                                        immediately below was at a similar time and venue, whilst the shot at the foot of the page by Richard
                                        Hourigan shows it outside the factory in August 1958 just after being registered.       Originally DCA
                                        had reserved the block VH-WIA to -WIZ for Ceres production (presumably for "Wirraway") but this
                                        was changed later to VH-CEA to -CEZ.   VH-CEB was written of in a crash whilst taking off from
                                        Walcha, NSW in January 1969.