the DC-2 1/2, some 35 examples of the Douglas C-39 were built in 1939.
aircraft was a composite of DC-2 and DC-3 and military specific
parts and assemblies.
It used a
basic DC-2 forward and center fuselage section mated to a DC-3 style
The wing consisted of a DC-3 center section and DC-2 outboard
wings. c/n 2076
former 38-519 and served in Australia during WW II with the 5th Air
Force. It was
civilianized in 1946 for Australian National Airways as VH-ARB, having
operated in the latter
stages of the war for that company on military contracts using the call
sign 'VH-CCG'. . In
1948 ANA sold it off and
for a short while it was owned by the Missionary Aviation Fellow-
ship at Port Moresby. Guinea
acquired it at the end of 1948. The above iamge
is from Jim Sinclair's book 'Balus The
Aeroplane in Papua New Guinea', while the photo below,
by Richard Leahy (via Geoff Goodall)
shows the stripped hulk of -ARB as the old Lae town
airfield in the 1950s. It
was later completely broken up.